A birthmark refers to a congenital, benign aberration on the skin which is present at birth or develops shortly after birth, typically in the first month of life. They can develop in any location on the skin.
Birthmarks may develop for various reasons, including an excess of pigmentation or grouping of blood vessels. Laser treatments can effectively address all types of birthmarks. However, some types may necessitate a higher number of treatment sessions than others.
Laser therapy involves the use of an intense but gentle light beam on birthmarks, without causing harm to the adjacent normal tissue. It may sound severe to have a birthmark removed with a laser. But in reality, it is a safe and sophisticated procedure.
The practitioner will use a laser with a light wave chosen for the particular color of the birthmark to disintegrate the mark until it subsides. This disintegration happens over the course of multiple treatments and does not leave behind any scars.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q) provides laser skin rejuvenation treatments to patients in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and surrounding communities.
Advantages of Laser Light Therapy for Birthmarks
- Birthmarks are very treatable with laser or light therapy
- It is a realistic goal to expect 70 to 90 percent lightening.
- Depending on the type of birthmark, treatments can be repeated every one to three months until the patient’s objective is accomplished.
- Minimal pain and recovery time.
- Non-invasive procedure.
Which Laser Birthmark Removal Treatment is Appropriate for you?
The laser used for the treatment will depend on the color and type of birthmark that an individual patient has, and this will be determined at the time of the pre-treatment consultation.
In case a patient has a vascular birthmark, the provider may use a more intensive laser technique, which emits a laser light beam to heat up the defective blood vessels that form the birthmark. This will cause the blood vessels to collapse and stop the blood supply in the site. This enables the birthmark to fade.
A laser known as an ND Yag Laser may be used to treat pigmented birthmarks. The energy delivered by the laser beam disintegrated the cluster of built-up pigments cells into tiny pieces. These are then naturally eliminated by the body’s immune system, helping the birthmark to fade.
What to expect after the Procedure
- Patients may not experience any major changes until several weeks after the procedure.
- The treated region may be red or pink for four to eight hours following the treatment.
- Patients may experience a slight stinging sensation similar to a mild sunburn in the treated region. This sensation typically subsides within four to six hours.
- Moist cloths or cool packs may be applied to reduce the sensation.
- Mild inflammation in the treatment site typically resolves within a few days.
On top of this, patients should:
- Avoid applying perfume, lotion, deodorant, makeup, or any potential irritants to the treated site for either 24 hours or until all signs of stinging and redness have resolved.
- Apply a good moisturizing lotion to the treated region twice daily for the duration of the treatments and for a minimum of three months after the final treatment.
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q) receives patients from Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and nearby areas for laser skin rejuvenation treatments.
To learn more about the plastic surgery treatments and procedures performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q) please contact us at 760-324-2660. To learn more about Dr. Q’s Medical Spa please visit drqmedicalspa.com
Dr. Q receives patients from Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and other suburbs and towns in this part of California.